Monday, November 13, 2006

In Which Zeebi Cannot Do Math

I have pretty much not knitted at all on the baby sweater since I got home from Atlanta. Thing is, I discovered while I was there that I am going to need some more red yarn for it. Not too bad, really, about two inches of a sleeve worth. I can get that from ripping out the collar and redoing it in grey instead of red. I could also rip out a little bit of the other sleeve and graft in the grey liner, then use the bit of red to make the left sleeve the same length. There are, in fact, several options.

But I'm tired of modifying this damn sweater. I've already ripped out the seed stitch bottom edging and put in a little line of grey on the liner. I've already reknit the collar several times. At the same time that my perfectionism is kicking in (because my kid WILL have the perfect sweater if it kills me), my laziness is waking up to say howdy.
I don't enjoy tinking, which is what I end up doing with this yarn, since there aren't a lot of stitches and the yarn is the tiniest bit fussy.
I don't like frogging because I screwed something up in the planning.
I hate the idea that I have to rip out because I miscalculated how much yarn I'd need by half a dozen yards.
I just don't wanna.

But.
At the same time, I just can't justify spending money on shipping to buy one skein. I can't really get out of the house to look around at LYSs because I'm horrifically busy, plus the Hub still won't let me walk around much. And how will I find the same dye lot again, anyway? Hence, the stalled knitting as I have pondered my dilemma.

Luckily, my grandma came to the rescue. She's knitting a blanket for Snert, and after hating the first yarn that she purchased for herself, she asked me to find another option. I ordered her some Plymouth Dreambaby DK, which is a lovely microfiber/nylon washable yarn that I've used before. I got the yarn for her online, and it was just what she wanted.
I didn't get enough yarn. (Do you sense a theme here?)

So now I have to order two more balls of yarn for my grandma. (I don't think I've ever seen Dreambaby in a store, which is weird since it's such a great yarn.) I'm paying shipping anyway. So I have ordered one more ball of the red Svale.

Dye lots be damned. The jacket's going to be covered with spitup within a week.
Now of course as soon as it comes in, I'm going to have to find time to knit. Which I don't really have.

Sigh. Maybe I should get another injury so I can spend more time convalescing and less time writing.
Yeah, right.

On the upside, my grandma made a beautiful blanket out of the hated yarn. Not machine washable, but beautiful.

2 comments:

beaner said...

dreambaby is in Newton. I have gotten much dreambaby from there. I could have sprung you from the confines of your house, but alas, you have already ordered.
I, too, need to knit. but I need to write more!

Dharia said...

i just started knitting my sock again on sunday. after over a MONTH of not knitting a single stitch. yikes

then i got a massive headache because i think i need new glasses. double yikes.